15.11.14

Happy music - Neil Sedaka's Greatest Hits


OK this is my instantly-feel-good-singing-around-the-kitchen-music.

It occurred to me this morning that although this kind of sound was actually slightly before my time, it left mark ever since - I could hear "Brill building" even in "Grease" which was soundtrack of my childhood. Of course I knew Sedaka for a long time as pre-Beatles hit maker but I kind of forgot about him until recently heard some of this hits on youtube and was surprised how much it affected my mood - these songs were so happy, bouncy and catchy that I got swept away with sudden rush of optimism and I made note that this is something to listen in future, when I need something to cheer me up.

Apparently there is interesting story behind "Oh,Carol" where Sedaka seriously studied what is successful and used all the tricks to make sure this would work. It did and it opened the doors for him in a big way. Almost every single song here is classic, with tons of extremely memorable refrains, clean old-fashioned fun and joy of music that works in therapeutic way. Looking from a today's perspective I am aware that almost everybody can pour his frustrations, anger and gloom at the world but it takes a real craft to come up with something so delightfully infectious and uplifting like "Little Devil" or "Happy Birthday Sweet Sixteen". Sure, its sugary and the sound of white America of the time, but I take it for what it is and how it affects me even today, decades after its release - I can easily imagine driving a car full of small kids behind me and we all sing along as we smile. Before they all turn into sulky teenagers.

No comments: