4.11.14

"He Touched Me: The Gospel Music Of Elvis Presley" (2000) - a documentary



I have a confession to make, right here and right now, that it took me four decades to warm up to Presley mainly because when I was a child growing up in 1970s  at that time he was sort of parent's favourite (yes, funny considering that he was seen as danger to youth previously) with housewives confused should they throw underwear at him or Tom Jones. "He loved his mother" they murmured to each other trough endless coffees, privately probably thinking very unmotherly thoughts towards hunk who was than clearly in bad shape but so were their husbands as well. Than media frenzy surrounding his death overshadowed everything else so the Las Vegas Messiah cult put me off.

Curiosity eventually brought me back to his music and sometime in my 30s I discovered to my biggest surprise that I actually like his music, not so much ballads and rock singles as much his gospel work - this was something so completely different and unexpected from what he was known for, that I actually listened, with greatest attention. Yes, I know, some still think this was simply reflection of a country boy's background, step towards respectability and what not - I do disagree, since my ears tell me this was probably where his heart truly was. And honestly, Presley would not be the first artist who privately was different than his public image. These days, if ever I go back to Presley, its his gospel music (and earliest recordings, not bombastic later albums) that I usually re-visit.
Did you know that during his life, he won Grammy only three times - and always for Gospel recordings? He is also inducted into Gospel Music Hall of Fame.

This documentary, spread over really generous two DVD set, covers almost all aspects of this private face of King: it has nice introduction from journalist Sander Vanocur and tons of interviews with people who knew him back than, including singers and musicians who worked with him closely in studio and concerts, people who are still visibly fascinated with him after all these years and who all claim that off-stage Presley was often funny, sensitive, generous and spiritual person who knew Gospel music much better than anybody around and who, with all his mega-stardom was excited as a kid to sing together with his Gospel idol J.D.Sumner. Interesting idea: because of his phenomenal success, he was unable to attend church services (and basically to live normal civilian life) so being so cut off from reality, he used Gospel music as his own personal way of communication with God. Watching him on a concert stages, completely lost in this music (and giving generous spotlight to his backing musicians who sometimes sang solo without him) and truly enjoying Gospel, I have no doubts this is where his heart was.

No comments: