26.7.11

"Awake sweet love" - the magic of Dowland music


Another jewel in "Hyperion" crown,this lovely album finds songs and lute music by John Dowland and his contemporaries - apparently I can never have too much of Dowland music and although is melancholy,I never find it overbearing,could listen it for hours. I know it is a pity I never feel the same thrill for german Lieder (where one or two songs are enough for me) and no doubt language has a strong point in all of this,because I am much more familiar with english than german (all those german lessons gone with the wind!) but it must be music as well - tender romance of Dowland songs have magic of their own,flowing gently and soulfully while german Lieder too often sound too much alike for my taste.

Apples and oranges,I know.


Back to this album: it is a collection of music from the reign of Queen Elizabeth - David Miller plays lute and truly it is a instrument from Heaven,his solo pieces are so gentle,sensitive and refined that I could listen him forever. Miller is an excellent match for countertenor James Bowman who not only sings but acts different moods through many of familiar pieces - on occasions he is backed by the viols of The King's Consort (Wendy Gillespie, Richard Boothby, William Hunt, Mark Caudle) thought simplicity of lute behind his refined voice sounds just perfect to me."Can she excuse my wrongs?", "Say,love,if ever thou didst find" and "Awake sweet love" are just some of the many pleasures here,of course famous solo pieces like my old favorite "The Frog Galliard" are also included,it is simply a perfect album in its genre.


Again,I marvel and wonder at the fact that this sad and melancholy music actually makes me happy.


No comments: