27.11.14

"Before Sunrise" (1995) by Richard Linklater


I came to this movie from "My Dinner with André" so it wasn't such a surprise and I knew what I expected from art-movie.
In theory I would immediately dismiss anything described as "romantic comedy" and under no circumstances would even accept to watch something created for sentimental entertainment - however this turned out to be such a nice experience that I am still surprised what an effect it had on me. For the start, even though we are absolutely aware that this is scripted and rehearsed, movie appears so life-like, real and natural that for the life of me I can't see anything artificial or contrived here. Acting is superb, both Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy completely inhabit their characters and I must say to me they are absolutely adorable as two people caught up in the beauty of young love which is so right and natural at that age. You must be seriously cynical or old to forget how it once was.

Sure, not everybody allowed themselves freedom and exuberant pleasure of being in the moment as shown here - some people simply don't know how to let go - but most of us had at least moment or two where mornings dawned and we were too excited to be tired. "Before Sunrise" has this rare gift to make us think about our own lives while watching something on the screen. Which in my opinion makes it unforgettable and great movie. This is where I caught myself standing in the middle of the room (with a plate in my hands, halfway going somewhere) glued to the screen and waiting for two actors to finally kiss. And darn it if several times I didn't find myself completely and utterly melting (scene with a poet), smiling and purring like a happy cat. Considering how many movies are just a boring cliché, this came as wonderful feel-good experience.

No comments: