26.7.11

"Trust your heart" by Judy Collins



In previous post I had mentioned how Mouskouri observed that during a performance audience sometimes transforms and becomes united,living and breathing being moved by the art,inspiring performers and sharing their mutual love. Browsing through my book collection that has way to many autobiographies and biographies (guilty pleasure) I stumbled upon another talented and gentle singer,Judy Collins who noticed the same thing and this is what she says:


" The moment when I step from the wings onto the stage is a sacred time,a spiritual journey in which I plunge into an air of lightness,made of myself and the audience. The audience wants everything and they deserve everything. They have supported me,bought my records,wrote letters to me saying that I have changed their lives. They have changed mine. One must not take a night of singing for granted,for the Gods might became jealous and take it away.When I walk out onto the stage,the audience is usually invisible beyond the footlights: in the shock of light they can see me,but I cannot see them. I depend upon hearing and feeling who they are and what they are willing to bring me tonight. I learned from my father on those nights when I watched him on stage in cities like Fargo or Butte and Carson City how to sense an audience without seeing them. Under the lights I am by myself and the audience is out there,but we are together,united."


No comments: