26.7.11

"Four last songs" by Lisa Della Casa (1953)


The first recording of Richard Strauss's famous "Vier letzte lieder" (not counting concert premiere in 1950s where Flagstad sang it) this is a note-perfect interpretation of a classic piece, surprisingly recorded not in usually accepted order but in a way they were originally completed,therefore it starts with "On going to sleep".


The very first time I fell in love with this music,it was the recording by Elisabeth Schwarzkopf and my own croatian Lovro von Matačić done in the very same year as Della Casa - 1953 - so naturally,listening and loving that one made me prejudiced towards all the other versions. After all these years i still keep my ears open and out of curiosity I like to check what other artist can do with the same material (often I wonder what Schwarzkopf though herself about Jessye Norman 1982 recording? Was she pleased? Upset? Envious? If anybody knows let me know) and thought often its very much the same thing,occasionally its simply the sound of different voice that makes a huge difference. Nothing would ever replace majestic Schwarzkopf for me but I must admit that Della Casa is actually very,very close to the top of what I have heard so far - everything about her singing,poise and sensitivity is inspired,it also helps that she is backed by no less than Wiener Philharmoniker under the baton of celebrated Karl Böhm so prepare yourself to be swept away by the sheer beauty of the music.


The rest of CD is filled with selections from "Arabella", "Ariadne auf Naxos" and "Capriccio" where Della Casa shines perhaps even more - this is impressive beyond words and here finally I stopped to think about Schwarzkopf and simply enjoyed music. Her duets with Hilde Guelden and Paul Schoeffler are such attack on the senses that I couldn't keep still and had to walk a little - it is very interesting that music can make such effect on the listener,absolutely intoxicating!

No comments: