26.7.11

The Essential Purcell



Everything with released by "Hyperion" always gets my full attention as this wonderful company always have the highest standards of performance, selection of super-talented artists and the choice of recorded material is literary mind-blowing,it truly changed my life because they seem to avoid commercial direction and obvious paths in favor of lesser known but equally beautiful pieces.In short,if you see "Hyperion" label printed on Cd,go for it.


There is nothing lesser-known about Henri Purcell who,after all is a giant of the whole barque era. His oeuvre is so rich that it would probably take me years to get my head around many different styles he worked in but this CD is a good start for a somebody like me who simply needs some guidance where to start: "Hyperion" has released three series of complete Purcell works and here they presented choice from twenty-five various recordings.


The long and exhausting list of artists here is star-studded: Barbara Bonney, James Bowman, Gillian Fisher, Charles Daniels, Rogers Covey-Crump, Susan Gritton, Mark Padmore... there is something for everybody but I must point at the direction of my beloved Michael Chance who must have been one of my all-time favorite singers in any genre (after all,he is the guy responsible for my "classical bug") and here he shines in a heavenly duet with James Bowman,truly magnificent showpiece for two counter-tenors titled "Sound the trumpet" dating from 1694 royal celebration.


It is such a rich compilation that with repeated listening I am sure to find always different favorites.

No comments: