26.7.11

"Iberia" by Marc-André Hamelin (2004)


A dream match between canadian piano genius Marc-André Hamelin and one of the best-loved classical pieces of spanish heritage,famous "Iberia".

Press have praised and celebrated this recording to the skies and I waited and waited until I could get my hands on this CD. Than I had to wait some more because it was so damn expensive,twice the price of regular new albums on the market. In the meantime I enjoyed "Triana",the piece selected as the-best-of-the-month in "Gramophone" magazine and actually memorized that part,liking it really very much.


Than the strangest thing happened: I found "Naxos" (and they are always well bellow any reasonable price,almost embarrassing) recording of "Iberia" by scandinavian guitar trio "Trio Campanella" and what they did with "Iberia" was so pretty and delightful that I learned to enjoy the piece as played on guitars. Now when I finally have Marc-André Hamelin,to my biggest surprise I find that although undoubtedly he is genius and all is fine,I already keep "Iberia" in my heart as played on guitar. I really love Hamelin and what he does but now it would have to take me some time to get my head around piano version. I am not taking anything from him,after all he is probably my favorite piano musician but somehow I came to this particular piece in roundabout way so for me - Iberia sound spanish when played on guitars.

No comments: