26.7.11

"Iberia" by Trio Campanella (2003)


I read such a glowing reviews on new piano recording of "Iberia" by that canadian genius Marc-André Hamelin that I was dying to get my hands on that album. But than,it always turned out to be very expensive,so I could just look at it from a distance."Gramophone" praised it to the stars and I adored that one piece they selected for their usual best-of-the-month selection but what to do when this damn album was either impossible to find or ridiculously overpriced?


Than I found - surprise! - another version,played on the guitar by (another surprise) scandinavian guitar trio and they turned out to be sensational! My God what a wonderful music and it sounds just perfect when played on guitars. it really brings out all the "spanishness" of the piece and I had no prejudices about spanish piece played by musicians from the north - after all,my most cherished "Four seasons" by Vivaldi actually comes from "Drottningholm Baroque Ensemble" and they are also from Sweden,when these guys play the music is simply sparkling. And than i found interesting thing,this scandinavian guitar trio had already worked with legendary spanish pianist Alicia de Larrocha who herself was the best-known performer or "Iberia"!


This celebrated twelve-piece piano suite really sounds stunning in guitar version,I love it so much that when Hamelin eventually came my way I didn't care so much for him. Sorry buddy.

No comments: