27.7.11

As Steals the Morn: Handel Arias & Scenes for Tenor (2007)



Another "Gramophone" recommendation - they selected the title song (actually a duet with soprano Lucy Crowe) for their best-of-the-month choice and it really,really blew me away,it was such a explosion of vocal beauty and harmony that I snatched CD the first moment when I saw it on a shelves without thinking twice.


Of course,it turned out to be a bit of cheat because it is really the only duet on the whole album and nothing else matches this brilliance - ha! - but never mind, I said to myself that maybe with time I will grew up to like the rest. The rest is selection of dramatic arias and scenes from various Händel's oratorios and operas,showing of Padmore's unusual voice in the best light. I remember critics saying something about him not being strong at deeper tones and giving him sort-of backhand compliments but music is so pretty and musicians so good (The English Concert under baton of Andrew Manze) that I can easily recommend this is the best possible introduction to this singer.

No comments: