26.7.11

Blast from the past - Disney books with gramophone records




Books and music were always huge part of my life and if you ask me which on is bigger love,I honestly couldn't answer since they came to me literally simultaneously in a shape of children's books with little gramophone records - my mother bough them for me when I was obviously a toddler and there were cutest little books with Disney stories,wonderfully illustrated and from the records the professional actor would read a page,than a ring of the bell would signal to turn the page. There was also a music included,music from Disney movies translated and sung by local musicians. Oh,how I loved these books - they kept me occupied constantly and my mother actually thought I learned how to read by myself because I would recite the whole pages (but than,I would imitate the bell before turning the page and therefore giving up the secret).


I am 100% sure this lead me eventually to really start to read,because I was already reading cartoons with Tom & Jerry,Popeye and others at the age of four. At seven,when other kids in the school still learned how to spell I was already engrossed in the books.


Some 37 years later,I have found these little books on the internet as downloads - I have no problems with internet downloads as long as its about something long out of print and unavailable otherwise (usually I prefer to have original albums with liner notes and pictures) - I don't see the point of buying music easily available in shops and actually always make a point of buying occasional CD as a support to now-dissapearing industry. Back to my little Disney-books: to find this again (even as download) was a big thrill,together with old scratchy sound of gramophone records. I have found almost all of them except "The Aristocats" that for some reason I still remember after all these years.

Very happy with my discovery!

No comments: