27.7.12

The other side of London: homeless people


From Heaven of country life to Hell of the big city.
London is at the very start of the Olympic games (saw the torch arriving to town) and everybody is very excited about it, huge crowds everywhere and it looks like a busy summer here.


In all this hustle its very easy to see only what one wants to see - happy faces, nice girls, pretty houses - hardly anybody notice something that is unfortunately also a trademark of the big city: homeless people sitting everywhere (on the streets, in the underground metro stations) sometimes with a dog, sometimes not even a dog.  Yes, cynics might say, there must have been somebody who takes care of them but unfortunately social workers are not miracle workers and what do we actually know about those people and how did they end up living like this? It's one thing to see some happy drunkard simply sleeping away his hangover on a park bench and another to recognize real pain and suffering on a face. No matter how long I had lived in North of Europe and know big cities, I still can't and never will get used to just ignore it and pass by. In fact, all my friends know that i give away coins left & right when I think I should help. It bothers me to this day to remember few occasions I didn't react immediately and let the chance slip by.


Yesterday I was on my way trough incredibly complicated web of London's underground (locals call it "tube") happy with my books, CDs and plastic bags when I spotted deeply unhappy man sitting on the floor as people passed by.  Usual story - just a sleeping bag - except that this guy was so down, he was actually looking down completely depressed. It was like a thunder struck me,I had to come back and gave him a coin - surprised, grateful look and really sad face (poor guy was cross-eyed so bad luck for him). Than as I walked away I said to myself "what a nonsense, what good can one coin do to help him?" and returned again (feeling like Jean-Valjean from "Les Miserables") and gave him 5 pounds note - for me,this is just a cigarette money, for him probably a nice meal from some fast food. It was probably his face that struck me - unbelievably how lots of people just make judgement on account of our looks, clothes and appearance - not realizing its all a reflection of moment, we all could end up on the street one way or the other, we all feel sadness in the same way. This guy was somebody's child once, there was a mother and a school and friends and laughter - this unlucky face does not invite sympathy from most of the people and there were many more people simply rushing by without even looking at him although it was clear that he needs a help. I was simply lucky that nature gave me this face so I can bluff my way trough life, I remember very clearly times of my early 20s when there was not a coin in my pocket but somehow I managed to pull trough - knowing and remembering how it is not to have, I will always deeply sympathize with people in need.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sad AND beautiful story...
Mark