18.7.12

Spiderman (2012)


Visit to a spectacular Imax cinema in London and - unavoidable new "Spiderman". 


In general,I have nothing against superhero movies, some of them are quite enjoyable and most of them fascinating to watch on a big screen,although they seem to be terribly unoriginal and following clichés: everything is black and white, good guy versus madman (who often have no real explanations for his behavior), a nice family often placed in danger and a sweet ordinary girlfriend at the background. Believe it or not, the biggest cinema hit in London these days is "Spiderman" (with all the other far more serious movies lagging far behind) so I was intrigued when friend invited me to go,why not after all.

Movie was visual overkill and definitely a very pleasurable - almost orgasmic - experience, with 3D effects flying right in our faces. Often I would see my friend squirming in his seat because it was really so good - I've seen some 3D movies but never once that was made to thrill so perfectly,wonder how to top this one. On visual level everything was tailored to perfection, on script level it was just another bunch of clichés - after all it IS a cartoon so I won't go into deep analysis why and how, obviously this is easy entertainment and escapism and works on that level.I do need to mention the character of Spiderman - presented here as a moody,angry and obviously uncommunicative teenager - as contrast to usual muscled hero this guy is made to appeal to all confused, basketball playing teenagers with spots and clumsy hands so it would be easier for audience to recognize themselves in him (I guess) but to me this was extraordinary annoying since I dislike this type of guys very much, when he comes home after flying around the town, full of bruises and uncommunicative as always, his long-suffering family can just stand and watch and worry where he was been while teenage audience is supposed to understand he is hero so everything is fine. It shows my age that I feel more for Sally Field and Martin Sheen than for the young Andrew Garfield who I suppose was good for the role because he truly annoyed me,doing what director wanted him to do.
I prefer my heroes to be somehow more strong and silent than angry,confused teenagers.

No comments: