5.7.12

"Prometheus" (2012)


So, last night I went to see "Prometheus" - the latest movie by Ridley Scott - don't know why I have chosen this one in particular because it is not the type of the movie I would usually go for and true, it is not my "cup of tea". I am just saddened that cinemas are so focused on blockbusters and big hits with special effects, explosions and fireworks - apparently this is what audience wants - I love good story, good acting and probably drama would be my favorite movie genre, however here in centre of Amsterdam this is what they are offering so off I went to see it in 3 D.

"Prometheus" is the name of a space ship traveling far into space to find a certain planet with atmosphere similar to ours - scientists have found a clues that our race might came from this place and our ancestors might came from here. A team of selected scientists is employed to research this strange planet and what they find turns out to be very dangerous, disturbing and violent. There is a lot of screaming, running, blood and ugly scenes with aliens popping out of somewhere right into your mouth (in 3 D!) actually I didn't feel so good about it and apparently this is what Ridley Scott is famous for (remember "Alien"?) but I was relieved when I finally left the cinema. Movie finished without clear ending (except that it points that there might be a sequel) and we are still left wondering are we descendants of these creatures or what, of course perhaps is wrong to search for a deep meaning in something that is clearly made to excite and thrill audience with special effects & violence. 

The story starts very well and it could have been much more interesting have they focused on interesting questions, like are we really engineered by aliens but unfortunately very soon it changes focus and goes for gross violence. I really don't need to contaminate my head with this kind of images and prefer to watch something that I will remember with affections. Reality around us is sometimes ugly enough, we don't need more ugliness.

Main actress is a swedish Noomi Rapace whom I recognized from somewhere but couldn't place her - she was in original swedish "Girl with a dragon tattoo" - but she looks much prettier here. It seems she might have strong international career now, hopefully this is not the best she could do, fighting aliens and screaming.

1 comment:

Martina said...

"I love good story, good acting and probably drama would be my favorite movie genre" - That's it! Though the taste would not be discussed, I do not understand the popularity of special effects too... perhaps it requires less intellectual effort :)