22.7.12

Paul Simon (1972)


Opening "Mother and Child Reunion" and "Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard" are excellent, upbeat, happy pop songs that definitely stand out in this collection of otherwise boring acoustic  singer-songwritter marathon that left me crying for Art Garfunkel. I understand critics have positive things to say about Simon as a solo artist and his writing but this didn't exactly blow me away and nothing except above mentioned two songs were worth remembering. When Simon sings along his guitar in "Everything Put Together Falls Apart" and most of the other songs on this album, I wondered why did he bother and did he really think hat as a solo artist he would be more interesting? To me it sounds very self-involved and centered on ME which I resent. Together with Art he was capable of writing music that really had universal appeal,this is all about himself and analyzing his own belly button. So far not very impressed with solo Simon,let's get to other albums. I actually like the cover more than music here.

No comments: