19.7.12

Bobby "Blue" Bland "Midnight run" (1989)


If you had any doubts does Bland still has it after so many decades, it's enough to hear very first song "You've Got To Hurt Before You Heal" to know yes he is still good old himself. He had developed odd "snort" trough the years that might put some people off but once you got used to it, it's fine, I don't find it so unusual and after initial shock it's quite fun to guess where he would snort again.

"Midnight run" is a decent album with a typical 1980s synthesizers design  - I would prefer to hear him with a live band but this is the way albums were done back than. There is a great return-to-blues "Take Off Your Shoes" ("If you gonna walk over me woman,at least you can do is take off your shoes") and excellent cover of "Ain't No Sunshine" that I really like, I simply love Bland's voice in anything but its great when voice matches strong material. 

Not essential but good to hear old guy still has it. May he snort long.

No comments: