13.11.11

Pro Arte (1972)


Listening to Pro Arte discography is frustrating business because guys were clearly excellent musicians but neither music (by it's leader Đorđe Novković) or vocals (by Tom Jones soundalike Vladimir Savčić Čobi) sit well by me - something is just not right,no matter what record sales at the time said. It almost makes me wish to get rid of the composer and singer,but than it wouldn't be the same band I guess. For one thing,vocals are so theatrical and mannered that it makes me cringe. But than,guys in the background play really good - there is some good Hammond organ and guitars that really spark - specially on the uptempo material ("Sa mnom pleše djevojka" that could have easily been something from "Indexi").


What I really wanted was a music without annoying vocalist and possibly without this composer. My wish is almost granted on the last song that turned out to be instrumental ("Stari dvorac/The Old Castle") and voila,the band is brilliant when they finally get a space to show instrumental skills without pressure to record hit singles. I really like that last instrumental number and it clearly shows what they might have been in some other circumstances.

No comments: