12.11.11

Jo Nesbø


Norwegian author Jo Nesbø made a big splash now after Stieg Larsson successful "Millenium trilogy" became publishing phenomenon - since Larsson is sadly deceased,attention focused on another writer from the north of Europe and Nesbø is advertised as "new Stieg Larsson". Well,not exactly.


Apparently Nesbø already wrote a whole series of successful crimi novels so this is just one of them,however this was my first introduction to his writing and I must say that I find them incredibly slow and suffered trough the whole book,expecting but not finding any of interesting quirks of Stieg Larsson (who could also be slow at the start but later gets towards completely original and unexpected turns). Honestly I don't get where all the fuss about Jo Nesbø comes from since the story is very usual serial killer plot with police going in circles and main character is alcoholic constantly suffering from hangover - like we never ever before encountered self-destructive policeman who don't know should he quit his job,divorce his wife or simply shut up and die. I persisted to the end,constantly expecting that something interesting will happen but it didn't and guess what,the killer was exactly the one I suspected from the start.

My impression is that publishing world simply needs new Stieg Larsson so now they are building new star but to me this looks exactly like any of the paperback pulp fiction crimi stories sold on the newspapers stand.

No comments: