2.5.13

True Blood - Season 5

Vacation and the time to catch up with "True Blood".

The very first time I watched it, I was actually intrigued with combination of horror and funny elements, I honestly never saw a TV serial that so cleverly mixed these two. I must admit that the first season was probably still the best one because this is where original scary elements were more pronounced, later as serial progressed it became more and more twisted into comical and somehow it lost this horror edge. However, I made it now until 5th season and it feels good, like meeting old friends again - the story had moved far beyond initial Bon Temps place and it follows many (too many) different plots simultaneously, now we are usually served with what's going on with almost everybody at the same time. I have lost interest in supposedly main characters (Sookie and Bill Compton) long ago - she is just annoying busybody, unable to stay out of the trouble and usually either screams, cries or storms in someone's house/office with demands. Bill has been interesting at the very beginning but was slowly overshadowed by far more charismatic vampires. So far I noticed that some supporting characters have become far more interesting to me - Pam had slowly emerged from Eric's scary sidekick into comical, self-confident and strong person and I love every time  she is on the screen. Surprisingly enough, Jessica also turned out to be completely different from what she appeared to be at the beginning even thought I don't quite understand what she sees in that mama's boy Hoyt, but oh well. (I love Hoyt's mama, she's excellent actress and makes me jump into the screen and hit her.) Several characters now became a little more than a comic relief - Lafayette and Tara for example. I don't really understand who cares about Sam Merolotte and Arlene/Terry are like old chewing gum that's been around too long. As usual there is a healthy dose of nudity (female and male) and I understand that audience loves seeing perfectly sculptured bodies of Eric and Alcide naked as much as possible, without any reason why should that be important for the story (and its not) - I guess its a female audience bait and it obviously works as the serial came so far, but its becoming old hat. Here in the 5th season we have several interesting negative characters (vampires) and the best of them is Roman (Christopher Meloni previously unknown to me, thought he seems to have had fine career so far) who strangely enough looks more like cruel politician or businessman than a bloodthirsty night creature. Biblical Salome is also here (very sexy accent) and old Nemesis Russell is again with us, though this time he appears more comical than scary madman he used to be. So far, so good - though I must admit that it does become little predictable and where earlier I used to have all-night "True Blood" marathons, now I am perfectly happy with only one or two episodes at once. 

No comments: