3.5.13

Piaf connection


Insomnia and bad stomach kept me awake at ungodly dawn hours so I surfed the net and out of curiosity checked some names I had encountered while reading Edith Piaf's biography. First, there was Marie Dubas who was a big star in 1930s and everything Piaf wanted to be. Honestly, on the record she doesn't sound so special but apparently when she was on the stage, she had audience in the palm of her hand and was very moving.

I had also discovered that Piaf herself usually depended on good songwriters (Marguerite Monnot was her good friend and famously absent minded, according to the book) but once was inspired enough to write song herself that turned out into "La Vie en rose". Interestingly enough, nobody thought much of it and song was given to another singer - Marianne Michel - who recorded it first. It was so popular and loved that Piaf herself reluctantly recorded it two years later and it turned into her biggest success.

Yves Montand was of course Piaf's discovery - like all her discoveries, he was first her lover and than she left him once he became successful.I am familiar with his name of course, but if you ask me wouldn't know any of his songs. At least this is what I thought until I found out that until I heard this.

Marlene Dietrich warmly welcomed Piaf when she came to US and they were such good friends that Dietrich was even matron of honor on Piaf's 1952. wedding - Piaf herself wore little cross necklace Dietrich gave her. They appear very different but it seems they really liked each other.

No comments: