17.5.13

"The Complete Columbia Recordings" by Bessie Smith


Welcome to prohibition era.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, no matter how shocking this might sound to your nowadays politically correct ears, our not-so-distant ancestors have been drinking,brawling, fighting, vomiting, cheating on their girlfriends, gambling and had tons of sex. In short, they lived their passionate lives divided between sin and respectability, with temptations lurking just under the surface every day. And just to remind you that 1920s were not just years of charleston, Great Gatsby, big flashy cars and silent movies here is a monumental CD box with peek into other side of the fence, Afro-American side of the story that was completely unknown to most of whites who lived at the time.

The music of Bessie Smith and her sisters was not played on the radio - popular voices back than were crooners or chirping songbirds singing about "Moon of Manacoora" and such. But paradoxically those popular voices sound hopelessly dated and mannered today while great Bessie still touches us deeply with her growling voice full of passion and pain. Jet set of Harlem found her exotic and "in fashion" but her real audience were completely different profile of listeners for whom her songs about poverty, brutal life and disappointments were reality. Above all, Bessie Smith was defiant and perhaps it is this bold disobedience that separates her from the rest of the competition.
I listen her music today and it sounds empowering, even though the lyrics are often depressing - she might sing about unfaithful lover, poverty or something like "I'd Rather Be Dead And Buried In My Grave" but her voice is strong, powerful and booming. Often I wonder why this music makes me feel so good even though its supposedly blues and downbeat - it is not, this music, ancient as it is from today's standards is uplifting, soaring and brutally realistic about life. No matter is it "Pickpocket Blues", "'Tain't Nobody's Bizness If I Do", "I Ain't Gonna Play No Second Fiddle", "Nobody Knows When You're Down And Out" or brilliantly rowdy "Gimme A Pigfoot" I love them all.

Trough the years I collected several Bessie Smith compilations and naturally she inspired me to look out for her other contemporaries (Ma Rainey, Mamie Smith, Clara Smith, Ida Cox and the rest) but I always ended up going to "The Empress" because she is the only one with that special realistic touch. I understand that certain part of Afro-American society wanted to distance themselves from this, they went so far that they even wanted to destroy copy of "St.Louis Blues" movie as embarrassment (very same people who criticize "Porgy and Bess" for being unflattering portrait) but I find this a nonsense. There is nothing old-fashioned or dated about Bessie Smith who sings about life's trials, loneliness, pain and short lived happiness. Change lyrics here and there and we can all recognize ourselves in this. I treated myself with this CD Box for Christmas  and it was my own best gift to myself. Its just wonderful.

No comments: