23.2.11

Dream a little dream of me (Eddi Figel)


Oh well,how can we forget celebrity biographies - once I actually went back to my list of books that I've read in the past (real Virgo,always writing everything down) and to my biggest embarrassment I found out that apparently I read zillions of books about Hollywood movie stars,singers and such - no matter how I tried to explain this,basically its always the same answer - voyeurism and curiosity about other people lives.
So if you see me passing by bookshop,you can bet I will check out everything but at the end just have a peek at celebrity biographies,to check am I missing anything.Sure,now I know this is my weak spot so it's easy to control myself,however it's my guilty pleasure and sometimes I just indulge myself,like with this book - I was on vacation and just loved the fact that I was free from work and can do whatever I want,including reading book about Mama Cass. I even have photo taken of me relaxing and purring like a kitten in centre of Amsterdam, while reading this book.

Ah yes,the book.
More than just giving the story about Cass herself - who was more or less what we all knew and expected - the book describes San Francisco scene in late 1960s and what it meant to be there at that particular time. How everything changed overnight after Sharon Tate murders and uninvited visitors were not permitted anymore. How it was to have Jack Nicholson, Joni Mitchell or Cher around the house. Numerous stories about folk clubs where performers sang basically for peanuts (this is where Cass came from,though her real love were Broadway musicals) and of course some great backstage stories about "Mamas and Papas" and how it all really went. Tons of infos about music.

And by the way,there was never any sandwich,it was a heart attack although basically it shouldn't matter because the end is the same. But her daughter is very unhappy with the whole ham sandwich thing and I understand her,at that time doctor wanted to hide any suspicion about drugs so he went for something innocent and accidentally turned late Mama Cass into a joke.

No comments: