29.7.23

In memoriam: Branko Blaće


This blog is turning into one long list of obituaries but that's life - my heroes are slowly leaving this planet. Recently I have found out that Branko Blaće had passed away and it was sad news as he was one of my all-time childhood favourites, in fact the generations have grown with brilliant recording of our very own rock-opera "Gubec beg" where tall, strong and handsome baritone Blaće performed the title role. Croatians are always very quick to admire everything imported and usually don't appreciate homegrown talent, but this was genuinely a historic moment, where we had our very own rock-opera (one amongst the very first in the world, next to 1969. "Tommy" and 1970. "Jesus Christ Superstar") and it was a huge success at home and at the foreign stages. It was welcomed with standing ovations in Italy, Hungary and Soviet Union while at home the performances were sold out. 



"Gubec beg" was based on a historical novel “Seljačka buna” (by August Šenoa) and it was planned as anniversary of famous village uprising against local feudal nobility who treated them as slaves (we were not the only ones, apparently these village rebellions had happen all over the continent). The leader remembered as Matija Gubec was eventually brutally executed along with his helpers but the episode was remembered as a part of national consciousness and after centuries still echoes with a message about human spirit that won't accept injustice. At the time of its premiere, it was quite a spectacle rare on our local stages (they had huge folk chorus Ladarice and karate fighters amongst the cast) while media buzzed is it acceptable that pop singers like Branko Blaće or Josipa Lisac were invited in the theatre. 



After Gubec, Branko Blaće continued to perform in the musicals - I had seen him in another historical rock-opera that was also inspired by the famous book ("Grička vještica") and in fact cherished that recording as well. Later he played in local versions of "Les Miserables" but never seriously pursued solo career as a pop singer - there are literary only a handful of singles and some festival performances left behind him, it looks as he never cared much for that and was focused on a teaching work. I have actually met him completely by accident as a young man, when I worked as a journalist - invited into a home of a famous Croatian pop singer who lived in a fancy, northern part of town, she told me not to worry, her neighbour will pick me up - this neighbour turned out to be Branko Blaće and my head almost exploded from excitement, I still can't believe that it was Gubec beg himself that gave me the lift. I think I said something stupid like "You were Gubec beg!" and he laughed at me being so thrilled. 

No comments: