26.8.22

"The Sandman" television series (2022)


Just like with everything else, I am slowly accepting that its not possible to read all the books, hear all the music and watch all the interesting programs in the world. Yes, it fuels my imagination but there are some human limits after all - mostly my own attention span - so basically the next best thing is to organise my little piles of things to read, music to hear, movies to watch eventually. I am on a vacation now and my main motto is not to oppress myself with any plan or programme, there is absolutely nothing that I must do (except when bladder calls for alarm) so I am pleasantly relaxing, doing absolutely nothing and keeping one eye on potential TV shows.



Out of curiosity I have checked out long awaited and much hyped "House of the Dragon" but I'm afraid its impossible to experience the same thrill as with original "Game of Thrones" - its like expecting to fall in love for the first time again - we have invested eight seasons (and years) in the first one and its not realistic to be swept away again. To be honest, creators of this new show had ungrateful task of creating something that must be faithful to the original but still fresh and new. In other words, to me it felt very much as déjà vu - dragons, long haired men, backstabbing court intrigues and slices of nudity/blood/gory. I even left it for another day and watched the ending later. Right now I don't have sufficient interest to continue watching it, no matter what the rest of the planet might say or do. 



On the other hand, I am really thrilled with "The Sandman" - for the same reasons I disliked rehashed "House of the Dragon" - this is something completely new, fresh and as yet undiscovered. I am aware that series is based on a famous comic book written by Neil Gaiman but I have never read them (however, I am familiar with Gaiman and some of his work, namely "The Ocean at the End of the Lane" (twice!), "Good Omens" and "American Gods")  so this is all completely new to me and I even resisted my curiosity and have not read anything online about the plot: good decision, because TV series turned out very exciting, kind of dark Harry Potter fantasy with its own rules and myths. I could definitely tell this was based on comic book because it has a comic book feel to it, there are many interesting characters and in fact, where it took me two days to finish one episode of "House of the Dragon", I swallowed 5 episodes of "The Sandman" at once. Tonight I will watch the last two episodes and I genuinely love this. 

No comments: