6.8.22

"The Possessions of Doctor Forrest" by Richard T. Kelly (2011)

 

It was long since I have read a book with actual genuine pleasure. It seems that Internet has affected out attention span and for a while I do reading more like a task, trying to get in touch with my old self but its more or less always conscious decision "I must go back to reading like before" and not real satisfaction. And voilà, it did happen completely unexpectedly - not by any of the books I have bought, not from my overcrowded e-library (that looks impressive but its just too loaded) but one of those random books that I collect from free giveaway public libraries that people here so nicely put on display in cabinets so you can just take them for free. It was such a joy to dive into this book that I decided right now that I will only follow my impulse and go for random books I find like this, because somehow I have a feeling books find me and not the other way around. 


Also, it was the circumstances: I have spent the weekend in the nature, completely offline, enjoying the solitude and quiet of a little weekend cottage escape. hidden in the greenery, surrounded with quiet buzz of bees and chirping of the birds, somehow I relaxed enough to actually enjoy the book and get really into it, without glancing online all the time. 


"The Possessions of Doctor Forrest" is a modern day gothic novel, kind of combination of several famous literary predecessors like "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" and what impressed me most was the writing style which was luminous. In fact, I am not sure was I enjoying more the story or simply the style - every now and than, the author would come up with some really beautiful turn of the phrase and I loved it so much that I returned to the pages again and again. Apparently its not very successful nor big hit and that is fine by me, I gulped it in two days with greatest pleasure and felt thrilled about my newest discovery. Loved it, loved it, loved it! 

No comments: