14.5.15

"Game of Thrones" (season 4)



I have enjoyed "Game of Thrones" immensely while I watched first three seasons but there was a break in my continuation until I could get my hands on season four, so I wasn't sure would I like it anymore, once my initial excitement vaned a little bit. Recently I decided to give it a go and watched first episode of season four, just to find myself thinking "this is all one bombastic cliché after another" - since I wasn't anymore so lost in the fantastic world of George R.R. Martin and had drifted little bit away from it, suddenly I saw it with different eyes and things did seem a bit overblown, all big gestures, dirty hair and swords all over the place. It saddened me a bit but it did feel like awakening after a drunken party and seeing things in different light, clearer. 

However, curiosity got better of me and so I continued, just to find myself again completely and utterly lost & immersed into story. Apparently I had to kind of re-introduce myself again to everything because there are so many characters and places that its really difficult to catch up with all of them, I am still not 100% sure do I remember all these people and honestly, though I can tell that eventually this will probably all get connected (in a season 365) so far story is happening in ten different parts of kingdom simultaneously and new characters are constantly coming up while old ones intrigue, plot and travel all over the places - I still think this is the best TV serial I have ever seen in my life ("I, Claudius" mixed with "Lord of the Rings" on unsurpassed, grand scale) and I still think the part of the story dealing with that dragon mother is boring, because visually spectacular as it is, she is still far away, on the other side of the sea and this is season four - she was far away at the beginning of season one so although I expect she will eventually arrive in the main story eventually, it really takes forever and every time her scenes come along I became impatient because it kind of forces viewers to stop concentrating on main story and follow her, behind seven seas far away. 

My favorite character is still dwarf (excellent Peter Dinklage) who is right now at this part of the story in prison, suspect of murder and I care for him deeply, I was just thinking that if anything happen to him I will stop watching the darn serial. His evil sister queen is kind of one-dimensional because she is obviously hateful woman with empty heart and most of the time we see her sipping wine - earlier, she was fascinating, now she is just cartoon but there is another character (Diana Rigg) who is far more clever, manipulative and formidable. And yes, giantess Brienne of Tarth is still around and I absolutely love her, if I see this actress in real life I would probably give her a hug. Right now I am halfway trough season 4 and can't wait to continue watching it again tonight.

Update:
Saw the final episode of season 4 and still excited - I honestly think this is the best TV serial that I have ever seen in my entire life and it is a compulsively watchable program, you simply can't stop watching episode after episode - all those cliffhanger-ends, ever-changing adventures of characters who travel all around the kingdom, it is all truly mind-boggling. And this is coming from someone who does not really care for sword fights and massive fights, but scenery and mass scenes are truly magnificent and I can hardly imagine this being surpassed any time soon.

No comments: