30.9.14

Vacation time & "Dining with the Tsars" exhibition


YES, YES, YES - Vacation!
I was so excited about finally getting a break from a constant, 7-days-a-week work that I almost couldn't sleep my last two nights on the ship. Not that this time there was anything particularly heavy or difficult, at this point I can do this work in my sleep, but its a routine that gets me and 6 months is truly enough - after that, a person needs a break. Otherwise you get really unhappy and frustrated while new passengers expect you to be pleasant.

Since I have disembarked in Rotterdam, it was somehow easier to make decision and visit Amsterdam immediately - took the train and I was in a city where I once lived in less than an hour. Sunny Saturday, lots of people, everything like it always was. And than I realised that I was too tired to actually enjoy all of this so I slept my first day of vacation, just to wake up on Sunday fresh and happy. The very first thing I did - besides meeting old friends and having dinner with them - was to check out what's going on in local Hermitage, this time it was exhibition "Dining with Tsars", about porcelain dinner service sets used in royal court of St.Petersburg.




To be honest, I was just a slightly disappointed because everything was about eight sets of porcelain services - this was exhibited in the "central hall" and yes, there were spectacular, grand and awesome but the rest of "exhibition" was nothing, really - just a walk trough empty rooms where walls were covered with wallpapers & explanations how people used to dress and eat. So you walk trough these empty rooms, look at the message and there is nothing else in there! I took some pictures from porcelain sets, there was absolutely nothing else in there.

No comments: