3.3.09

Movie:"La Vie En Rose" (2007)



Famed for performance of Marion Cottilard as Edith Piaf,this movie got lot of attention internationally and I was really curious to check it out but for many reasons was not able to see it until now. I do have to say that for years I was fairly familiar with her life story - beginning in grandmother's whorehouse,singing in the streets,cabarets,drinking,druggs,Olympia,lovers and that boxer guy who turned out to be love of her life - the movie,on the other hand,focuses only on sordid aspects,ignoring everything that might have shown Piaf as a human and only presents her as "bohemian" (read: drunkard,clown at the parties,falling down,smashing bottles) who was nasty to people around her and who idolised boxer who died - question is would she really care for him if he didn't die,as she was known to dispose of her lovers once she got bored with them (see Yves Montand). The whole movie is a jumble of cuts that go left & right,jump from 1960s to 1930s and back,with no other purpose than simply to confuse audience.
Because Piaf in the movie is shown as hopeless self-disttructive alcoholic and spoiled prima donna,it almost put me off her music as well.I had to think hard and decided I will not allow the movie to spoil the love I had for her music for decades.
Seems there is strange confusion in audience about what makes a great artist and people simply accept "oh she must 
have bohemian" as explanation. Well,the person on the screen was very unappealing to me.

No comments: