28.3.09

Books: "My Anthonia" (Willa Cather)


This book was long on my list as something that might be interesting to check out - I honestly didnt know anything about it - and was glad to find it. I actually gulped it in one single reading,thats how god it was.There is something magical about Cather's writing,she is very firm and unsentimental but paints the picture like magician and makes very believable,realistic characters.I absolutely loved her story about first settlers in Nebraska,althought second part of the book somehow focuses more on city life and I would like to know more about farms & nature.
Curiously - for it is a small book - there is also a little bit about Jazz,theatre,philosophy and several other interesting subjects thrown in.
The main character recalls his childhood in Nebraska,locals and neighbours,little bright and hard working Anthonia who came as part of large immigrant family from Bohemia and how her determination and spirit helped her to survive hard early years of struggling.
Very good.

No comments: