6.8.18

"The Handmaid's Tale" TV Series


I am actually not so crazy about watching TV series anymore - its not what it used to be when I was growing up and every Monday you had to run home at certain time to follow the latest episode of "Dynasty" or "I, Claudius" or my early favourite "Worzel Gummidge" (about the scarecrow). In the meantime production values have transformed what was relatively inexpensive production into wondrous, cinematic experience but most importantly, thanks to internet, following some TV serial nowadays mostly means you will binge watch without a break, from the first to the last episode. On some instances I found myself truly hooked and couldn't sleep without checking out the next episode. "True Blood", "Lost" and "Game of Thrones" were just some of experiences - they were fun and I still love them, but in the meantime some uneasiness crept on me, the idea that I am becoming addicted to something - so I rather read instead.


However, a good friend recommended "The Handmaid's Tale" and he just continued on how brilliant and great it is so he intrigued me. I read the novel some twenty (thirty?) years ago and still have vague idea about the story, but must admit this turned much better than I expected. For one thing, production is excellent and without much special effects we are drawn to this post-apocalyptic world where people are sterile and the fate of humankind depends on group of forcefully enslaved girls who happen to still be fertile - Handmaids have to serve as mothers for families of important political officers whose wives are barren, while Marthas are housekeepers. In general, its a very bleak world where women have no power whatsoever and are legally forbidden to work or have any say outside of their homes. During the political takeover (that we witness later, in flashbacks) June (Elisabeth Moss) has been separated from her family and friends, now she is imprisoned and trained as Offred because her new master is Commander Fred (Joseph Fiennes). There are lot of other characters involved and all of them potential spies who might get Offred hanged if she is not careful - the driver, Martha, other Handmaids and so on, by far the most fascinating is Commander's wife Serena (Yvonne Strahovski) who is shown as cold, calculating and cruel but we also understand her pain for not being childless and strangely enough, later in series we learn that Serena was once very important and capable politician, now silenced and shoehorned into role of a housewife. Unfortunately there is no warmth or understanding between her and this new intruder, who is here only to serve with her womb and keep out of the way - it is very gripping and occasionally horrifying story, I just finished the first season last night with greatest interest but not sure do I want to continue.

The reason why I am in doubt is because this first season ends exactly where the novel originally ends and this is perhaps the best way to close the story. However, encouraged with enormous success of series, producers decided to continue the story anyway and judging by the first episode of the second season, it just continues with more torture, suffering and humiliation, which at this point gets really gruesome. And I found myself looking elsewhere just to avoid what's going on the screen - because this is turning now into skilfully created torture show with women being victimised left and right, I feel genuinely worried about this kind of entertainment and what kind of audience it attracts. So I think that one season was just enough for me and I don't want to participate anymore in something so unsettling and disturbing. If curiosity don't pull me back, of course.

Update:
OK never mind, I couldn't resist so I watched the second season. And it was darn good, though occasionally I had a feeling they are stretching it in order to get more episodes but the idea basically stays faithful to novel - its not really necessary though, since I believe it originally ended just as it should have - this time we follow pregnant June as she tries to escape and how there are always people willing to help, as well as reaction from free territory in Canada where there is huge public outcry against what goes on in ""Gilead". What was the most interesting was how the focus changed, previously I always thought Serena was evil but now I realised she was victim as anybody else, her husband is actually real monster. There are some new characters and plots so they might as well continue with third season.


No comments: