9.8.18

"Osvrni Se Na Mene" by Stidljiva Ljubičica (1981)


Stidljiva Ljubičica (The Shrinking Violet) was a short-lived, early 1980s Croatian rock band that managed to forever leave mark on my life, however not for the reasons one might expect - neither their music or messages actually registered with me - you see, I was hormonal teenager besotted with a classmate whose house entrance was "adorned" with a poster advertising the band's upcoming concert and every single time I walked the stairs leading to her apartment, this poster was looking at me and I wondered what kind of name is Shrinking Violet. The poster was forever there, layers of other stuff eventually glued over it but I could still see it from inside glass door - same picture as on the album cover - it probably outlived the group itself, which disbanded very next year, while my visits continued for the rest of decade until the object of my affection became a mother, alas not of my children.

Fast forward some three decades later and this album finally came my way - touched with sudden recognition of picture from mysterious, indestructible poster, I listened it with greatest interest and discovered surprisingly charming rock/new wave debut by bunch of small-town youngsters who actually sound far more refreshing and original than some of contemporary big stars. It might be their youth or energy, but the album brims with nervous vitality associated with new wave and the best of all is songwriting - unlike most of the songs released at the time that dealt with generic subjects, every number here is a little story written by Zlatko Đurašina and several times I found myself chuckling with amusement at his witty ways with lyrics, this was not just some macho rock posturing but urban and quirky little vignettes about young students with big dreams and empty pockets, eccentric characters and everything that goes trough the mind of someone who is young, angry and obviously well read. For all their talent and enthusiasm, the band apparently didn't really have strong contacts in the business and ended as curiosity which is perhaps fitting because they appear as a strong burst of fresh inspiration destined to wither amongst seasoned veterans who already learnt how to sail murky waters without asking too many questions. Title song is one single hit they ever had and this little gem of album is unexpectedly endearing discovery that deserves re-evaluation. 


No comments: