5.1.17

Zagreb in 1930s



Two more beautiful, dreamy pictures of my hometown in 1930s - this is ancient part of town which is basically unchanged today and pictures could have been taken yesterday. As a child I lived right here in the centre so naturally I am very familiar with these streets and rooftops, although from my perspective this is not really as romantic as people think, since life conditions in these old houses were never very glamorous: its all very fine for those who live in nice, comfortable and new apartments elsewhere and just visit historical centre occasionally for a cup of coffee in some trendy place but for us who actually woke up every morning in these old houses it meant we had shared washrooms in outside corridors, wooden stove for heating and basically exactly same conditions like in 1930s. Believe me, there is nothing romantic if you are washing in the simple basin, while people outside laugh in bars situated right under your windows long in the night. Everybody thought I was lucky to live in the centre but I constantly felt like some impoverished Parisian artist who will die from tuberculosis any moment in some attic.
Pictures are very nice though and this is something I always remember when I think about winter in Zagreb, but I never felt nostalgic about those times.

No comments: