16.1.17

Pictures of old Zagreb

Some more photos of old Zagreb, my hometown.
I have always loved these old photographs and they do delight me, although I will be the first one to admit that I have lived perfectly fine outside of Zagreb for the past twenty years and have no feelings of nostalgia whatsoever - the more I travel around the world, the more beautiful places I see and acknowledge that world is great place indeed, I have no problems of living elsewhere and in fact love it. But when I see these old pictures, it kind of thrills me because I know places very well and I am familiar with locations (I delight in the pictures of old streets anywhere around the world as long as I know the places).

First photo is from 1886 and its my very own street, which at that point in history was called Potok ("The Stream") as there used to be real stream going trough (I have never seen it, just heard about it). Monumental building on the left was long gone and the house behind it still has famous sun clock, the third house on the left was mine. Picture also clearly shows two different kind of women, there were some elegant city ladies and poorer women wearing obviously different clothes (I wouldn't be surprised they sold wares on a nearby market Dolac).


Second picture is a famous bakery that was located also in centre, in Ilica street. It was a fancy Paris bakery and the replica of the entrance still stands in Zagreb's history museum that I visited not long ago. It is quite cute picture with shop sellers at the door and the advertisement at the entrance proudly displays all sorts of fresh goodies that this particular bakery used to offer daily. These pictures are closest we can get to a time travel back in time.


No comments: