27.4.15

"The Marriage of Figaro" conducted by James Levine (1991)



Just finished reading not one, but two books about Mozart - "Mozart and his operas" by David Cairns was so passionate, elegant and convincing that it had sent me immediately to Mozart's music. Since I forgot that I actually have "The Marriage of Figaro" (by John Eliot Gardiner) I bought this one without thinking twice and I still have not regretted: it has spectacular singing cast (Dawn Upshaw, Kiri Te Kanawa, Anne Sofie Von Otter), explosive Figaro (Ferruccio Furlanetto) and quite impressive Count Almaviva (Thomas Hampson) so this was easy decision to make. In fact, considering all the talents involved this is actually a dream cast. It truly sounds like somebody with unlimited financial possibilities decided to select all the best of the best and mix them into one masterpiece production. Music itself is naturally wonderful, sparkling, witty and sexy - try to get "Non più andrai"  or "Non so più cosa son, cosa faccio" out of your head once you had listened this record, they would follow you the whole day around whistling and humming. I have had heard several different versions of this work but so far, these are some of my all-time favorite singers all in one place so its easy to recommend. 

No comments: