30.1.14

Old photographs: Amsterdam and Zagreb a century ago


Two beautiful old photographs from beginning of last century, both made in two cities I am very familiar with.

Years ago, when I still lived in Amsterdam, there was a exhibition about classic photographs taken on the streets around the city some 100 years ago. One of those photos was made into beautiful poster (for which I specifically searched the whole town over) and this was the poster I had back than proudly displayed on the wall at my work, to everybody's pleasure. It was a long time ago and I couldn't for the life of me remember the guy's name but thanks to Internet I somehow re-discovered it again and its here to grace my virtual world now: photographer is Jacob Olie and he was a wonderful talent who lived long ago, this picture was taken on the streets of Amsterdam in 1902.

Even more fascinating is this photo taken in my own hometown Zagreb - fascinating because there is absolutely nothing recognizable today on present location. If it wasn't for other people's comments, I would never in a million years recognize the street where I used to pass daily on my way home - "Pod zidom" ("Under the wall") right in the shadow of today's big open air market place Dolac with its colorful red umbrellas and flowers. Nobody knows what year this photo was taken but its wonderful reminder how the street looked back than, not one single building is here right now. Only the street probably follows the same path. I guess lots of people imagined I must be very lofty to actually live right in the centre of historical part of Zagreb, but in reality this ancient little houses were just a slum with distinctively unsophisticated living conditions, tiny apartments crammed with impoverished characters and not only that often one floor would share WC (no bathrooms) but almost everyone used firewood for heating even during 1980s when I lived there. Absolutely nothing elegant about it, except if one imagines himself being some kind of bohemian artist. But its true, the heart of town was right outside my door. I wonder does anybody even thinks today, as they are sipping their cappuccinos during fashionable walk in centre, about faces in the windows above. Present but invisible at the same time.

No comments: