13.1.14

From Laika to Brundo


Relaxed and content - being here alone in a countryside, without anybody to bother me, without any brutal working hours and obligations, I am close to my own nature and yes, to myself. There are no worries, problems or reasons to hurry, I do what I want to do when I want to do it & if I want at all.
If I decide to spend a day in my underwear, not even bothering to look in a mirror or wash my face, so be it.
If I decide to crank it up at 3 a.m. because I just feel like it, there is no Ukrainian roommate to switch on MTV or someone from a thin-walled cabin next door to complain. I can fart, burp and do all kind of natural and unnatural noises knowing darn well it does not disturb anybody.

Yesterday I was reading something on Internet about the planets, Sun, Earth, Mars, Venus, Moon and than somehow got to Russian dog Laika that was intentionally send to die in Universe alone. Now that story always disturbed me, because I just feel so sorry for that little dog whose life was used for experiment, this was something really cruel and I don't care for any scientists explanations and reasons, if I have a pet rat I would protect his life. I collect insects from the floor and take them outside the house just not to step on them. Apparently even Russian scientists felt sorry for Laika because the day before she was sent to space, one of them took her home to play with his children. Than before they closed her in a rocket, they kissed her nose and sent her away. Now this story somehow stayed in my mind and I mulled about it later when I stumbled upon a Facebook photo of a little homeless dog ("Brundo") scheduled to be put to sleep during the next 24 hours because there was no home/funds for him.

To my biggest surprise, all the people I contacted basically shrugged it off, saying there is nothing we can do and there are so many similar cases, who could solve it all.
It angered me very much, how easy it is just to click "like" on Facebook and do nothing except continue self-obsessed navel gazing. People can change the world if they try just step by step, little by little. There are some who are not even honestly interested to help a homeless dog because "its just a street dog, a half-breed" well what a nonsense, like people have pedigree - are we judging people's basic qualities and goodness from their looks? And animals themselves, well they love us unconditionally and honestly without ever thinking about the way we look, how we dress and how much money we have. I am perfectly aware that this kind of help can turn into bottomless pit, so what. And this little dog on the photo looks so small, hungry and blameless, I had to do something about it. If I only knew before, I could have take him here with me in a countryside and take care of him for two months.

So - I contacted Facebook person immediately and let her know I am not able to give dog a home but I can help financially and provide for anything he might need if this will stop him from being put to sleep. Even pulled some friends to join in donations. This morning I went straight to a local village and from the post office I had sent amount of my weekly wages to save Brundo. The little dog is out of danger now, he is still very thin and needs a medical attention but he got a temporary home and will not be killed - my donation will provide for his food, collar and a visit to vet. He was taken out of the cage on the very day of his extermination and he is only two years old. I am also aware that its very unjustly towards so many other homeless animals who happened not to be photogenic and they live in cages for years because nobody cares for their photos. But this makes me feel good and proud about myself, I had a good day.

No comments: