20.8.10

Movie:"A Dirty Shame" (2009)


When I saw John Waters classics for the very first time,I laughed for days.

I clearly remember myself walking across the bridge somewhere in centre of Amsterdam and bursting into giggling fit (and people from the tram watching me laughing alone in the street) because I would remember something funny from Divine's mouth. The parody and twisted humor was too good for words so I placed Waters movies in a special place in my heart - perhaps it is acquired taste and not for everybody,but if you dig Waters,you are on the same wave-lenght and in all probability my friend.

I still love John Waters - surely,once he "went Hollywood" his movies lost that irresistible trashiness but never mind. And yes,Divine is not with us anymore but we can't blame John Waters for that,although I must admit every time I watch new John Waters movie I am looking for Divine to pop out from somewhere,I really miss him.


"A Dirty Shame" was great fun - at least it started great and than it fizzled somewhere towards the end - but I laughed and laughed and had a great time so what.

Tracey Ullman (whom I remember as a singer way back in 1980s - does this make me old?) was great as a frumpy housewife-turned-nymphomaniac and there is a scene where she enters the car (right after something hit her over the head and she is still dizzy),turns on the radio,hears famous "Pussy Cat Song" (Pussy...Sore...Wet...Pussy),and horrified switches the radio off.Than she puts it on,because,after all,she is nymphomaniac now. I saw that scene several times and laughed out loud like a madman,alone in my ship cabin in the middle of the night,it really makes me laugh even now.


Everything else is typical John Waters poking fun at suburban morals and mainstream America. It is a bit too "teenage" occasionally (with its insistence on shocking the audience with sexual jokes,it gets tired eventually) but on the other hand it shows that Waters is still young inside. What I loved in his earlier movies with Divine was the fact that sexual jokes were just a part of the whole ridiculousness - there was so much more besides grossing out the audience with nudity and profanity - Divine would go head on against the religion,society,education system and the whole world - here the jokes are only about sex,so towards the movie it becomes a bit boring.

No comments: