20.8.10

Books:"The Lost Symbol" (Dan Brown)


Dan Brown wrote several interesting thrillers before he struck big time with "Da Vinci Code" which turned into world phenomenon - I still remember how much I enjoyed the book years ago when I first read it and it surely inspired the whole branch of similar plotting/paranoia/real identity books. Just look in any bookshop and you will surely find stories about "real identity" of anybody from Old and New Testament - alas,it was interesting at first but than it became a bit much to see shelves full of them.

I suspected than Brown is now in a difficult position because industry probably expect him to follow with similar books - and it is hard to top something that might be life achievement,after all. Would he turn to something completely unexpected,like history or children novels? Or would he turn to another "Da Vinci" clone? I viewed his latest novel in bookshops with suspicion for some time before I actually succumbed to temptation and bought the darn thing.


Just as I expected,"The Lost Symbol" is "Da Vinci" clone,it was clear from the very first two pages. Nothing wrong with it,perhaps,except that it is predictable.Dan Brown became prisoner of his own fame and expectations publishing industry is placing upon him. Just like before,it's all about running in the dark corridors,big secrets,important people get mutilated and we are not sure is police involved in this or not. One thing I WAS sure was how it will end - I even knew the identity of the main baddie (and it made me wonder - same as i sometimes get in the movies - have I not,perhaps read too many thrillers so now they lost freshness to me?). I read it but more because I simply wanted to get over with it,than out of real curiosity or pleasure.

In a way it's a pity for Dan Brown - he is intelligent writer who can write really good when something inspires him - but now I'm afraid its too much to expect another world-shaking phenomenon from him. He should turn to something completely left-field and write for pleasure of writing,but the reality is probably different - judging by this novel he might continue writing lukewarm & predictable thrillers trying desperately to repeat success of "Da Vinci Code".

No comments: