20.8.10

Movie:"30 Century Man" (2010)


Interesting documentary about famously reclusive Scott Walker - who in front of the camera turned out to be not reclusive at all,in fact he is sweet and chatty and very articulate about his music and what he wants to achieve. One thing is clear - at the certain point guy became sick and tired of screaming fans and people turning up his car upside down,so he consciously left the pop music behind in order to create non-commercial music that he loved.
I absolutely adore his first four solo albums - they deserve to live forever,because they are such pieces of art. Sadly,his other work is either out of print (Walker basically erased everything from early 1970s catalogue and records new albums once in a decade) or completely off the wall and has nothing to do with classic 1960s sound. Surely it is unrealistic to expect Walker to repeats himself - he is real artist and transform himself to another dimensions,it is really up to you do you want to follow him there in some dark corners where he screams and yells while "musicians" beat pieces of meat with their fists as "instruments" - it's not for me,at this point.
Lots of celebrities are here to say something about Walker - some admire his work,others remember him for his pop star days when he was poster boy for screaming girls. It's funny to watch Lulu's face as she hears Walker's new music - she clearly recognizes the voice but is alarmed with what she hears now. Some try to find something positive about his new music (I think they pretend) while others - like Marc Almond - are simply honest and they admit they hate it.
I think - and this is at this point,who knows,I might change my mind later - that Walker's late music is far removed from pop field and as such is not "hummable" or "singable" or even easy to follow in a sense we are used to. As such it makes you wonder - what is point of it? - to put it plainly,it could be described as a madman's rant where previous moody singer with a golden voice now screams his manic depression out in the microphone. Could Scott Walker in fact,sing a melody again if he wishes so? I doubt.
I know this sounds little bit like Alice in Wonderland wondering what is the use of books without pictures,but I still love good,old-fashioned melody that can lift my spirit and I can whistle my head off with. There is a far bit of classical music I love that is not necessarily "hummable" but it still soothes the soul (or provokes any kind of reactions),what Scott Walker does now is perhaps better described as a "modern classical music" - and it's the world I usually run away as far as I can.

No comments: