20.6.22

A visit


My niece visited town and I was delighted that I could show her around during the weekend. This was the very first time we saw each other after 4 years since I have arrived here and in many ways it felt as it was only yesterday - but in fact, lot of things changed for both of us and there was also experience of global epidemic. I did what I could considering it was only two days and showed her some of my favourite corners here, there and everywhere - beautiful springtime was on our side and it was lovely to be outdoors, much more than indoors (I always say "museums are for the rainy days") even thought I showed her several places that were my old favourites. And than I caught myself being inside of museum and looking trough the windows - these places always have such wonderful locations and perhaps one also needs some relief looking elsewhere. And I thought "no matter how beautiful, nothing inside this building matches the beauty of the nature outside". 

I have known her since she was a baby, so naturally I am very happy that she grew into such a wonderful, grown up and positive person. I have never ever patronised her and always considered her to be my equal, so it was wonderful to have her around and listen her opinions & stories. At one point I even talked a bit about my own family past and memories just pored out, like from Pandora's box. It must be for that reason that several days later I suddenly remembered my mother, who is at this point long gone (in fact, I have lived longer without her than with her around). I was out on the walk and street cleaners have cooling the pavements with cold water showers, when kids on the bikes squeaked in delight - one of those magic moments that you either recognise or not - my eyes teared a bit from sheer pleasure of being in the moment. And suddenly I remembered my mother who was very much like me, she used to get moved by anything and was crying very easily (to my biggest annoyance). I was very much annoyed with this as a teenager but funny enough I recognise it in myself now as a grown up person. The power of genes is fantastic and undeniable. 





No comments: