17.2.22

"Don't Look Up" by Adam McKay (2021)

 

The comet is hurling towards planet Earth and to their surprise and despair, two astronomers find out that humanity is too preoccupied with their own little interests and social media to actually give a damn. 


I was intrigued with the premise, because apparently it was breaking all the records on Netflix and it kind of sounded interesting - tons of really big stars made it look like "Mars attacks!" which is one of my favourite movies and also brimming with celebrities - however, the similarities were just superficial because this one wasn't really a comedy. It was advertised as black comedy or satire but everything about it was a bit too disturbing to actually be genuinely funny. Yes, I chuckled a few times, specially when Leonardo DiCaprio freaks out in a children's TV show that looks like Sesame Street or basically every time Meryl Streep was hamming it up as a President of the United States (undoubtedly inspired by you-know-who) but the overall tone of the movie was so snarling that all this irony actually just depressed me. Yes, I got it, its not about the comet but about the climate change - but hammering it on so obviously made my heart sink lower and lower, until the end of the movie I was disturbed with all that selfishness, egocentrism and superficiality. Perhaps I am reading too much into something that was basically created as a comedy, but I like to think that the world around me is not so cynical - even if it is, we are the one who create our own perspective of it.



I also have to admit that I am not familiar with director Adam McKay, perhaps this is what he does: it wasn't really enjoyable, more like he was forcing a mirror into our faces. The overall impression was one of many nasty people backstabbing and smirking at each other. 


No comments: