19.11.16

Bibliotherapy


Just a few days ago, during the conversation with a co-worker I noted that in my opinion, the best remedy for depression does not have to be some expensive therapy or visit to spa, but often simple conversation with good friend or some pampering can do wonders. Of course, we are all different and these differences are precisely what makes us so unique, so its different little tricks for different people: in my case, when spirits go low, I treat myself with some carefully prepared food, listen to music that comforts me, experiment with face creams that otherwise collected dust in the corner, watch some uplifting movie or curl on a chair with a good book. (Sometimes all at the same time) Walk in the nature can be wonderfully refreshing - what stretching or meditation does for some, simple fishing does for other people - I have discovered that simple tasks of house cleaning always made me feel not only relaxed but at the same time while I'm physically busy my mind is elsewhere (this is so typical of Virgo) and in fact some of my happiest moments were caught in the kitchen, dancing to some trashy music from the radio (with hands full of soap), with a surprised and delighted dog by my side. If I had learnt anything during my time on this earth, is that planet turns with or without me, I have absolutely no input on destiny of the world but can do little things to help from where I stand (be it giving a coin to the beggar or helping a old man to walk down from the bus, sending money for animals in shelter or simply be nice to a stranger who needs a smile and compassion) and to love & understand yourself is already first step towards equilibrium.

Recently I stumbled upon article published in The New Yorker where author Ceridwen Dovey touches few subjects close to my heart, namely love for books, the pleasure of random discoveries and something that I never thought of consciously, the therapeutic effect that good books leave on our spirits. I never thought about it consciously, but yes, literature can be also therapeutic and apparently there is a already well-known idea floating around, that in various stages of life, books can be comforting, therapeutic and effective when dealing with loss, depression and stress of life. I don't agree with everything Dovey says in her article (she writes but never buys or owns books, she focuses exclusively on fiction) but she gently pokes fun at herself and her own idiosyncrasies and article is actually surprisingly inspiring and informative - how many times we recommended books to our friends, for the simple thrill of sharing pleasure but often its also because we want to share ideas, feelings and thoughts that our friends might need in that particular moment. 

As a concept, bibliotherapy was mentioned the first time in 1916, although apparently trough centuries private libraries were used not just education but as a comfort for readers. It is an interesting thought, since reading is basically escapism - I never thought about it as self-induced therapy for depression, since my love for books came naturally during the earliest childhood however I am aware that most of the little readers were sensitive children who found comfort in reading, when outside world was not nurturing or affectionate enough. Looking back at little me, I was treated with little more than annoyance, but luckily I found complete new universe in the books where adventures of imaginary characters occupied me when there was nobody else to protect or care. So yes, I can easily understand the idea of reading as therapy, specially when it comes to carefully selected pieces that might really help a person in that particular moment - there is a whole genre, nowadays called inspirational literature where authors like Mitch Albom can truly uplift, inspire and comfort the reader, I was even surprised myself how strongly some of these books influenced me and made me think, even though some of them were actually surprisingly slim,little volumes (this is something I have discovered long ago, that sometimes truly impressive works came as tiny little, unprepossessing packages). There is also a huge number of self-help literature, but I am wary and suspicious of books written from subjective point of view and never liked authors who constantly talk about themselves - no doubt, they think its about sharing experiences but to me it feels very much like constant monologue - same for stories about Mary, Jack, Joe or Jane, its been done to death and I'd rather read about facts than about vague examples. In recent years, I remember that Paulo Coehlo actually came as a nice surprise (in a perfect moment, when I was relaxed and curious enough to soak everything in), also people like James Hillman and Thomas Moore spoke to my heart just when I needed it. Lastly, poetry probably exist as food for soul since its beginnings - it simply always was and forever is something that deeply moves us in various stages of life, often we don't even realise how it touches us because nowadays it comes disguised in popular songs, like Leonard Cohen but it is in fact poetry. 

It is very interesting concept, that reading can also work as a therapy and as a life-long reader I truly accept that it can be very effective, specially if someone recommend titles that might be inspiring to us at that particular moment. Personally, I am always grateful for recommendations but cautious when it comes to lists because reading for me is a joy, pleasure and hobby, so must-do concept of reading simply does not appeal to me, I might have my own, personal suggested pile at the back of my mind, but as a rule I tend to catch the inspiration of the moment and simply love the pleasure of random selection. Often I say that "this book came my way"  because it feels like the book found me instead of the other way around, like in case of Neil Gaiman who winked at me from so many different shelves that finally I decided this is the sign, just to discover a major and important writer who absolutely delighted me. 


Original article that inspired my musings about bibliotherapy is here:

No comments: