25.10.14

The Greatest Songs of the Fifties (2006) by Barry Manilow


Barry Manilow popped in my head this morning - out of the blue, probably because I am relaxed now and was browsing Internet & remembering all the things I wanted to check out long ago. Not that I am fan, in fact I am only familiar with few of his songs and I know he was pianist for Bette Midler way back in early 1970s - but as I was always curious to hear something new, I gave this album a spin. Than again and again.

Its easy to be cynical about the concept - veteran pop singers branching into songbook-kind of project - it has been done before and it started decades ago but recently it has been so successful that it points at interesting fact that there are millions of listeners out there who are not interested in kiddie pop and love decent songs with beginning and end, classy orchestrations and good voices. Even though this is not nostalgic soundtrack for me - I was born much later - and I am not even familiar with Manilow's discography, the idea sounds interesting enough to check it out. To my biggest surprise, it turned out to be wonderful experience - at first I just hummed along and before you know it, I found myself singing around the house with full-voice until chandeliers shook (and I don't remember when was the last time I did it). The power of this feel-good music was so strong that I absolutely don't care if this puts me into middle-aged category or the fact that Manilow is (according to Internet) not the coolest & hippest of artists, if you listen without prejudice, with open ears & heart, this is impossible to resist. And yes, he sings like a dream.

Not only its surprising how well these old songs still sounds today (originals were also wonderful, mind you - sure, these were "just pop songs" but lyrics were far more meaningful than what I hear nowadays) but I find heart-warming that elderly artist can still create magic when probably nobody expect it anymore. The guest appearance of Phyllis McGuire is absolutely lovely, she must have been hundred years now and still sings her heart out. Truly, this album was discovery of the day for me.

No comments: