17.8.13

Sevdah


Talking about "Sevdah" here are two legends of this kind of music. Both singers made their names during 1960s and 1970s so today they are considered hard core traditional national legends and just like in american country music (similarity is not accidental) what was popular once has completely changed in the meantime, I guess today they listen completely different kind of "Folk" in Bosnia.

Since I grew up relatively far from "Sevdah" music and there was clear cultural division between urban and ex-village population in big cities, this was kind of unwritten sign-post about someone's background. Because I was just a child and latter fashion-wise teenager, it took me forever to actually look out into "Sevdah" (and into traditional folk music in general) and to start appreciate its beauty. With maturity came respect and understanding what actually this is. I still cannot claim that I will ever completely 100%  "get Sevdah" like someone who was born in Sarajevo, for example, but I do occasionally enjoy and appreciate what I hear.

Beba Selimović is a well known name in "Sevdah" and probably legend in her own right. However this 2 CD compilation was the first time I listened her music with attention and tried to understand what exactly was that she was doing and why she came to be so successful. At 32 songs it sounds a bit too much of the same to be honest (rhythms are very much plodding and she is backed by accordion almost exclusively) though her voice is very clear and pretty in somber, lady-like way. Selimović projects honesty and purity that obviously appealed to traditional society that appreciated these qualities in a woman. There is absolutely no trace of such thing as sex appeal or wink in her posture, Selimović is all about serious business, class and in her way she is regal. Bosnians adore her so who am I to say, however I prefer voices with more personality, this is somewhat too pretty-pretty for me. It reminds me on laced covers that mothers used to place on top of TV.

Safet Isović is completely different story - I usually prefer women's voices but this time I take Safet Isović any time, he was a genius in this genre. He has passed away long time ago but listening to his music, it is clear that he would never completely go away. (I distinctly remember my parents talking about him with admiration like he is Caruso) So today, in my 40s I am checking out compilation by Safet Isović and yeah, its actually VERY good. This compilation starts with interesting duet between two singers - the very first voice we hear is Zaim Imamović than young and glowing Safet joins in and harmonizes like a dream. All trough the CD his voice is a thing of marvel, this truly was a golden voice capable of belting or crooning gently, not to mention long phrasing and seemingly no breathing at all. The lyrics of these centuries old songs might be occasionally depressing or sad but there is nothing depressing about  Isović's singing - he projects such healthy, robust joy in singing that listeners heart leaps together with him. Specially is great to hear some old material freshly re-mastered after so many decades ("Sjetuje me majka" was ancient 4-song EP recording, for example) and he also sings much older variation on famous song "Kad ja pođoh na Bembašu" with different lyrics. As opposite to Beba Selimović whom I find pretty but one dimensional and unconvincing, Safet Isović is pure joy of singing and music - I know it is not fair to compare two completely different artists (and he could naturally exhibit far more extroverted performance than ladylike Selimović) however I could listen this guy for hours. And at the very end of CD there is a wonderful duet with Nada Mamula that was a huge hit in its day and even I remember that one. Just a wonderful singer and wonderful CD.

No comments: