27.9.08

Music:"Pub" by Djordje Balasevic (1982)


Singer/songwritter Balasevic already recorded several singles & albums with groups "Zetva" and "Rani mraz" before he spread his wings and decided to go solo - it was natural as he was the main lyricist & singer anyway - this,his very first solo album was Balasevic's biggest succes so far and probably the real start of his career.B1 ("Pesma o jednom petlu") was of course biggest hit,naughty song about a "rooster" who "does" chicks and ducks and everything on his way (it amazes me that I never got it,I was really naive kid at that time,thought that song was about animal kingdom!) but the main thing here is freshness and enthusiasm that Balasevic felt about his first solo album - music is melodic pop inspired by mellow guitar sound of J.J.Cale but oh lyrics - pure poetry - I dont believe there was a person who wasn't floored by Balasevic's storytelling,each song little masterpiece.
Of course I had this album - still have it - I grew up with it and know every word,even now althought it was released in 1982.This morning I heard "Lepa Protina kci" again and my eyes got all watery,how strange after all these years - it must be really good when it affects me so.Beautiful,one of the rare perfect pop albums.

No comments: