8.2.23

"Nemesis" by Isaac Asimov (1989)

 


Another paperback that I have found discarded on the shelves of neighbourhood street libraries (a concept that I never knew even existed before I moved here) - unfortunately it seems that the thrill of finding such paperbacks for free is approximately opposite of actual reading. Dear reader, I have to admit that for some time now I find it very hard to focus on reading books and it bothers me a lot because I used to be a passionate, lifelong reader who has now metamorphosed somehow into internet obsessive Zombie and I simply get too distracted with virtual world to actually focus on reading, which now feels like a task. I am too embarrassed to even admit how long it took me to finish this particular book, I suffered and forced myself trough this harmless little paperback like its the biggest enemy and its a pity, because I used to love reading. I seriously don't know how to deal with this, should I continue forcing myself and feeling guilty or gradually just giving up on reading books completely?


Sadly, this was my very first introduction to celebrated Isaac Asimov who is supposed to be one of science fiction giants. I have ploughed heroically trough it but frankly, it was just occasional sparks of inspiration sprinkled trough a long-winded saga that probably could have been a very effective short story. Far from gripping books that keep you reading trough the night, I have found myself postponing this one, keeping it at a bedside, carrying it around and finally finishing it with a ridiculously victorious feeling of achievement. I am aware that sometimes the book simply needs a right moment but this one felt as something I would never pick up again, so it was a task, not a pleasure. Not sure that I am ready for another Asimov in a near future. Life is too short.


The story follows two different groups - Earth people, who are focused on creating intergalactic (""hyper-assistance")  spaceship so they can follow space station colony Rotor where residents are planning to create a completely new start and populate new galaxy. Both Earth people and new colonisers are aware that the star Nemesis might bring death to Earth so this is one of the main side stories here, however Asimov than gets a bit distracted with description of deserted moon Erythro and its creepy atmosphere & certain bacterial intelligence that affects scientists in the artificially created research dome. For some reason, characters are just not very appealing and the best cerated ones are actual antagonists, like Asimov had more fun writing about them than about the heroes. 

No comments: