18.1.16

"Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand



Another Christmas present - now, under normal circumstances I would probably not really go for WW2 literature because I have quite a strong dislike for anything to do with weapons, war and such. This phobia goes so far that I won't even watch war movies - its not only that I have experienced war first-hand but since I can remember, I was fed with stories about WW2 and Holocaust so at certain point this simply became a subject I wouldn't touch with a pole. My own experience of the war and the whole explosion of colours it brings out of usually ordinary civilians (fear, sadism, selfishness, heroism, compassion, xenophobia, cruelty ... list is never ending) makes the whole subject quite traumatic and it is not something I approach lightly as a entertainment. 

However, I was aware that this book was on top of New York Times Bestseller list for quite some time. 
But with so many other things to read about, I would probably not really go for something about WW2 - until the book was given to me for Christmas and since there is nothing like holding a real, physical book in hands I decided to leave my virtual library for a while and give this a chance. I was actually almost sure I won't like it, that the subject is not for me and it will probably bore me with some technical details about planes machinery - to my biggest surprise I dived in it instantly and read first three chapters at once, marvelling at Hillenbrand's exciting and matter-of-fact style that bridges the most riveting journalism with passion of a true historian. 

This is non-fiction (generally my most beloved genre) biography of a Louis Zamperini, the son of impoverished Italian emigrants who somehow focused his wild youthful energy into sport and instead a under aged delinquent he promised to be, became celebrated runner who actually represented his country on Olympic Games in Berlin 1936. Just as he was planning to continue his training and compete again in 1940. the WW2 started and Zamperini found himself in Army Air Forces in Pacific that was completely swarmed with Japanese and sharks. At this point of the story Zamperini and his young fellow soldiers (basically all kids in early twenties) started to experience some seriously dangerous situations and book is so addictive and thrilling that I consciously steal time off from my sleep just to continue another chapter. I am honestly surprised how exciting and compulsively readable this book is because I expected that this is not a subject for me - than again, it connects biography and history so perhaps it appeals to me from that angle. Honestly, the only other WW2 book that I ever remember reading (besides obligatory school literature which bored me to tears) was "Tales of South Pacific" by James A. Michener and unforgettable as it was, this is actually much, much better. I am seriously addicted to this one and enjoying it each night when my work finally finishes after midnight. 

------------------------------------------------

Wow, this was truly a unputdownable book - it is 7 a.m. and I had just finished it.
Not just skipping fast, but reading it thoroughly, with greatest interest and fascination. The parts in Japanese concentration camp - harrowing and never ending as they were, I squirmed nervously as I read them. I chewed my peanuts and almonds frantically as I read about prisoners starving. Everything is this book affected me so much that it followed me in my dreams. Than I would wake up and read some more. I perfectly understand that survived prisoners of war had a serious problems with adjusting to later civilian lives - it is a strange feeling to walk in the sunny streets, surrounded with regular civilian people who have no clue about what you've gone trough. So I do sympathise with all of them - my own experiences, thought not exactly in same circumstances but traumatic nevertheless - are similar. It was excellent, highly dramatic book and though story itself was not a pleasant one, it was impossible to put it down. Just realised it took me actually just a few days to read it - and this is with my work schedule, where I can only read after midnight. 

No comments: