15.1.23

Evening of Istanbul Cabaret music

 

Lo and behold, looks like Covid and lockdowns are finally completely behind us and now we are all able to participate in crowded social gatherings, without forced vaccinations, etc. I had recently moved to another neighbourhood and must mention how excited and thrilled I am here - after living in the heart of Red Light District and than in the generic suburbs, now this is the very first time I am in a genuine residential area with regular people, regular shops and a nice, vibrant atmosphere. It also happened that there is a local theatre/cafe here just around the corner called Podium Mozaiek where a good friend performed as a part of Tombaz Ensemble - the stars have aligned and I thought why not, its near my new home and a perfect Saturday night evening.



I cannot describe how happy I am that after years of sailing and nomadic lifestyle I have finally found my home here in this wonderful, cosmopolitan and  colourful city with so many varieties - the best example was last night, where evening was all about 1930s music from Istanbul but the audience was mixed between ex patriots and curious locals, who just like me, wanted to experience something different. The ensemble itself is a five-member multicultural group of Turkish, Romanian, Greek and Dutch musicians who play both traditional and classical instruments. The singer Meral Ari introduced almost every song with a little story (which, surprisingly, I almost completely understood even thought it was in Dutch) and the evening was all about glorious music from Istanbul - reflecting various influences like operetta, tango and cabaret - also in different languages, including Greek, Turkish, Armenian, etc. 



No comments: