12.6.21

First vaccine

Well, that is behind me now, how relieved and grateful I am!

Initially the vaccination process in The Netherlands went excruciatingly slowly (while some types were being too dangerous and eliminated completely from the market) but recently it gained the speed and before you know it, I was able to apply for vaccination online. For some reason my home address did not matter at all because I got  choice of three completely random locations so me being me, I went for the randomest and selected the place I never saw before. Everything went smoothly because I had a chauffeur so we were both amused with little town Purmerend which is only a short drive from Amsterdam but it feels like another country (there are quite a few little satellites around and they all look very comfortable). 


It went very smoothly, like all the accounts I have heard there were quite a few volunteers keeping the tracks and pointing in the right direction - vaccination itself was so short and underwhelming that I actually didn't understand it was already over and done. "Is that it?" I asked. My life is a Peggy Lee song. I mean, there are people fussing so much about it and I am constantly reading about enormous resistance to almost any effort that comes from government (you know, "they") not to mention that some of my co-workers are passionately supporting conspiracy theories and here am I, getting vaccinated and it takes less than a moment. I had to wait some time in a waiting room just to make sure I won't drop dead immediately afterwards but obviously everything was perfectly fine.


In fact, not only I had no side effects whatsoever but I got really hungry - my appetite really exploded, probably because I was a bit nervous and now suddenly felt relaxed. We went around looking for some restaurant int his funny little town and stumbled upon a gloriously picturesque square that was previously hidden behind the little Dutch houses - you really have to search for it, but it turned out beautiful and full of people - it was a medieval cattle market that now houses rows and rows of fancy bars and restaurants. I mean, never in a million years you would expect such a joy in a otherwise quiet and boring little town. We had beautiful dinner and I drunk wine after wine, returned home quite thrilled with this discovery. But the strangest of all was this morning's discovery - the name of the street where I had a dinner last night was exactly the same as the street I have previously lived. 

No comments: