16.3.19

"True Love" by Alex Harvey (1973)


This album by Tennessee country-rock songwriter has quietly stolen my heart and without noticing, I kept returning to it time and time again. Internet search proved to be bit confusing because there is another musician with exactly the same name but eventually I found out the identity of my guy and it dawned on me why I liked him so much in the first place - this particular Alex Harvey belongs to the same generation of artists like Kris Kristofferson, Dan Penn and Spooner Oldham therefore its soulful country with just a enough of gospel touch in the background to make you stop and pay attention. Plus, as a songwriter he is excellent (his credits include "Reuben James" and "Delta Dawn") while there is something really endearing about listening composer's own voice, in this case whiskey-soaked, world-weary and slightly husky sound that combined with a cover photo really makes me feel like I know this guy.

"Makin' Music For Money" is opener and it probably first caught my attention - it is a statement in itself, of artist on crossroads, divided between the call of Mammon and urge to create music for the love of it. The rest is very much same high standard of songwriting with excellent lyrics and very enjoyable 1970s easy-flowing vibe that stands somewhere between country and rock - to hear Harvey singing his own material brings me the same pleasure as hearing Penn and Oldham performing their songs themselves (on excellent "Moments From This Theatre" album) and while my music taste usually goes in completely odd and unpredictable directions, I find myself returning to this album again and again. And singing on top of my voice. 

No comments: